My name is Hal Kaufman and I created My Adoption Advisor in 2008 with a clear Mission: To help families connect with the right birth parents more quickly and safely. Through our training and consulting programs we are accomplishing our goals, as well as helping you reach yours.
My wife and I adopted our two sons in 2005 and 2007. We adopted them both domestically and brought them home from the hospital just a few days after they were born.
After years of infertility and tragic losses we were fortunate to match with each of our children’s birth families in just 4 months. We have always enjoyed strong, open relationships with our children’s birth families. All of our good fortune, however, is not due to random luck. Through My Adoption Advisor I want to share with you details about the strategies that make the most difference.
I bring a unique and valuable set of experiences to adoption. With almost 20 years in the consulting and corporate worlds I’ve developed strong expertise in coaching and training, information technology, marketing, project management, change management, and process improvement. I combined these skills with my passion for adoption to help families better understand the adoption process, anticipate bumps in the road, and adopt more quickly.
I received marketing and general business education from two the of top business schools in the country. As a result, my advice includes a strong dose of business sense and savvy. The knowledge and skills that you get from me are based on research and input from adoption professionals across the country. They are well-organized and professionally delivered and are focused on what you need to succeed.
- Infant Adoption Guide, Networking and Advertising Your Adoption.
- Your Adoption Coach Radio Show, Adoption Advertising & Networking.
- RESOLVE Teleseminar, Connecting with Today’s Birth Parents.
- RESOLVE Teleseminar, Connecting with Birth and Adoptive Families on the Internet.
- The Only Adoption Checklist You Need, published by sheknows.com, authored by Leaua Leavitt, March 15, 2019.
- Sharing Only What You Want in an Online, Digital World, published by Families for Private Adoption in the FPA Newsletter 2011 Volume 3 (Fall), November 2011.
- Avoiding Adoption Scams, published by The National Council for Adoption in their Adoption Advocate #36, June 2011.
- The Role of Prospective Adoptive Parents in Locating Their Future Child’s Birth Family, published by the National Council for Adoption in Adoption Factbook V, May 2011.
- Adoption Billboards: The Pros and Cons, published by Examiner.com, January 13, 2011.
- My Open Adoption, published by RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association, Winter 2010 Newsletter, Resolve for the Journey and Beyond.
- Adoption Outreach: The Path to a Faster Adoption, published by RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association.
- Domestic Adoption, Facebook, and Privacy, published by The National Council for Adoption in their Adoption Advocate #25, July 2010.
- Developing a Strong Family Profile, published by RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association, Spring 2010 Newsletter, Resolve for the Journey and Beyond.
- Adoption Profile Videos: Good Is The Enemy of Great, published by America Adopts!.
Adoption Volunteer Positions
- 2006 to Present: Panel Speaker at Annual Family Building Conference for the Midwest Region of RESOLVE. Panels included “Keys to a Faster Adoption,” “Adoptive Parent & Birth Parent Open Adoption Panel,” “Ways to Adopt Domestically,” “Guy Talk,” “Letting Go of The Biological Dream – Knowing When To Stop Medical Treatment,” “Domestic Adoption – Parents Who Have Been There,” and “Journeys Through Infertility.”
- 2008 to Present: Classroom Facilitator and Panel Speaker for Bellis (formerly Adoption Option Council of Minnesota). Provide strategic and tactical guidance and lead and/or speak on panels at Minnesota high schools 5-10 times annually.
- 2009 to Present: Adoption Coordinator, Annual Family Building Conference for the Midwest Region of RESOLVE. Define panel topics, recruit speakers, identify exhibitors, and moderate panels.
- 2010-2011: Editorial Board Member for RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association. Provided strategic and tactical input for national newsletters.
Additional Speaking Engagements
- “Google: A Gateway to a Match,” Academy of Adoption & Assisted Reproduction Attorneys Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, May 6, 2019.
- “Adoption Outreach: Ideas to Empower Waiting Adoptive Families,” Focus on the Child Conference for Wisconsin Adoption Professionals, Madison, WI, October 26, 2011.
- “Matching with Millennials: Today’s Generation of Expectant Parents” and “Three Keys to a Faster Domestic Adoption,” My Adoption Advisor, and Entrepreneurship,” Adoptive Parents Committee Annual Conference, Brooklyn, New York, November 21, 2010
- “Adoption, My Adoption Advisor, and Entrepreneurship,” Metropolitan Breakfast Club, Minneapolis, Minnesota, August 11, 2010
- Guest speaker at Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota Outreach Workshop, Minneapolis, MN, October 9, 2009
- “Making the Decision to Adopt,” RESOLVE Monthly Education Meeting, May 15, 2007
- “Making the Decision to Adopt,” RESOLVE Midwest Adoption Series, February 25, 2005