Adoption Garage Sales
This short story titled Couple Holds Garage Sale to Fund Adoption and the corresponding video embedded above from Fox News in Orlando, FL show what one family is doing to help pay for their planned domestic adoption. The garage sale is a creative solution to a common challenge for families trying to afford the high cost of adoption.
What the article does not mention, however, is that the main benefit from the garage sale might actually be the awareness it generates for the prospective adoptive family. When you consider how common it is for a match between prospective adoptive families and expectant parents considering adoption to occur through mutual contacts (networking 101, right?), imagine how many people now know about this family’s plans to adopt?
- Friends and family who donated items for the sale.
- People in the neighborhood who saw signs advertising the sale.
- Anyone else who saw other advertisements that the family may have placed in newspapers, on CraigsList, or in their company classifieds.
- Of course, the shoppers at the sale know.
- What about everyone who read the article or saw the TV newscast?
- Someone also tweeted about this (which is how I heard about the story) and at least one person, me, retweeted it for them.
- And now you know, too.
Thousands of people have heard in a unique and memorable way this family’s plans to adopt. If any of them hear of a woman with an unplanned pregnancy who is considering adoption, who do you think they will think of?